Saturday, October 31, 2009

Mr. What-the-are-you-wearing

Halloween is such a crazy holiday. I was tempted to dress Apollo up as a pink unicorn tonight, but there are so many conflicting thoughts about it I decided not to. Since Apollo is not quite five months old I imagine every door we knocked on would know the candy is really for me, not the little pink unicorn in the stroller. I didn't want to give my neighbors the impression that I am willing to use my child as a means of getting 'the goods,' so that's out.

Also, I'm not sure what dressing a five month old boy in a clearly girl's costume would do to him. Not that I do or don't want my child to dress like a girl, but if I am the one physically responsible for it, does this put a certain unspoken pressure on him? I mean, especially if there are photos. Years from now friends will be looking at this baby pink unicorn pictured next to a fairy and a giant (steven and me but not necessarily in that order). they will know, he will know, that at one time his momma thought it was 'cute' to make in not only a pink imaginary creature, but a pink imaginary creature that just happens to be most girls' favorite animal.

Now I've lost my train of thought. A man in a glittering clown shirt accompanied by an acoustic and a witch playing flute is singing about country montana living. silly silly halloween.

No comments:

Post a Comment